About Me

Sunday 5 June 2011

We are family

In the past 2 days, I've had 2 people tell me that their families are complicated.

In such circumstances, I tend to point out that all families are somewhat complicated.  Inevitably, the response is that their particular family is undoubtedly one of the most complicated ones.

ALL families are complicated.  That's a fact. 

Now, I have recently turned into a family advocate, complicated or otherwise.  In the past, I used to turn up my nose at anything remotely connected to family, be it gatherings, obligations or interventions.  My motto then was: run as far away from them as you can...and fast.

These days, I am more tolerant of family.  I can even derive pleasure from them.  And I actually love watching the dynamics of families. 

Sometimes, the smiles and laughs flow freely and the conversations are perky and crispy with family.  At other times, people sit next to each other in stony silence, refusing to acknowledge each other. At yet other times, the sparks fly openly, daggers are thrown at each other's heart and soul. It gets nasty and ugly. Civility is conveniently forgotten.

But when all said and done, I think families are somewhat cute.  They bring you enough craziness to keep you sane.  And enough troubles to keep you zen. 

Yes, we are family....a bunch of quirky nutcase folks thrown together in a haphazard way, for better or worse.  It is God's design.  His way to keep us real.  Who would be fool enough to challenge that??? 

Wish me luck with mine and I'll wish you luck with yours. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment