Dear Breast, please hang in there
by Shafeenaaz on Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 11:05pm
I have been meaning to write to you for some time but then thought I'd give us both some space for a while with the hope that this little tissue issue between us will magically disappear one fine day.
We both know that our relationship has been on rocky grounds snce January and it is even now quite precarious. However, since communication, mutual support, understanding, yada yada yada in any relationship is so important (so am told by the experts), I decided to write you this letter to get a few things out in the open.
See, I am quite annoyed with you lately. Here are the reasons:
- You keep being messy in spite of all my attempts at cleaning after you;
- Because of you, I am unable to stand straight under a shower. I have been dodging to keep water off you for over 5 weeks now. It's getting tiring!
- I am unable to hold Rayyaan close to my heart because you cannot tolerate close contact! You complain that the pressure hurts. Now tell me, where I am going to get my supply of love from?
- I am unable to get that massage with "Heart" because lying on my stomach is presently impossible! I made a promise to her and since you are not cooperating, I cannot honour that promise. It's making me look bad! I don't like that.
- Because of you, I've undergone anasthesia twice, I have already spent a small fortune on doctors and clinics, I will go bald, my good cells are being killed, my brain is being messed with, my mouth waters unpleasantly, my patience is being severely tested, etc etc! Need I go on some more here?
I know things have been tough for you lately. I fully realise that you've gone from being invisible and sexy, to being labelled cancerous, poked, cut and manhandled as just some piece of fat (which you technically are BTW). I know it's not easy to live all one's life being gently managed and kept under wraps to suddenly being thrust upon the eyes and hands of unknown strangers and have THEM decide that there is a problem with you. You used to be dabbed in perfume and creams and now your daily lot is a round of betadine/fucidin/gentiane/arnica. To top it off you have lately been converted into a pouch for some piece of carbon and silver wrapped in gauze! And now you live with the possibility of more sewing even though you've had stitches twice already! It sucks. I totally understand. I'd be pissed too if I were you.
So it seems our complaints are equally valid, equally long and equally painful.
But really, I need you to make an effort here and just shut up.
See, there's plenty for us to look forward to once we get over this rough patch....I promise you, I'll take you walking by the sea (we'll even have a dip together), we can hug each other and others, and generally get on with life. I'm even planning on taking you to Qatar to see the sunshine boys one of these days IA.
So please Booby, let's give this marriage another chance. Just make an effort.
Yours with love,
The rest of me.
PS: I wanted to tell you that in spite of everything, I love you. I love you dearly. I am glad you are still here. I am glad you stayed. And I will keep loving you, scars and all. Just hang in there (no pun intended here! Don't be offended please!).